Hello readers!

Hello everyone!

My name is Victor Medina. I'm nothing special - or at least I'm no more special than any of you.

By day, I work at a flour mill, and help to make sure that we make good flour.

Sometimes, I play drums, guitar and bass in the worship team of my local church. I am part of a wonderful group of people who call ourselves the Relentless Laughter Club.

All of the time, I'm a lover of Jesus, a father, and a husband.

I live with my wife, Rachel, and my son, Alex; and we all live with our good friend, Will. He's a deep thinker, and has a blog too. Check it out at wtjcouchman.blogspot.co.uk.

A lot of Christians blog about their missions to foreign lands, and their adventures sharing their faith to non-Christians. When I asked God to tell me what my mission was going to be, he answered me very clearly. He told me that I was to look after his Bride, the Church.

You might be thinking: surely the Church doesn't need a missionary - it's saved already! You're right, of course: the people of the Church are (by and large) saved. But my mission is not to the people of the Church, but to the Church herself. Over the past two thousand years, the Church has become more and more fragmented. Denominations have sprung up all over the place, telling the world that their point of view on some particular facet of God's will or God's character is the right one, and that everyone else in wrong. Some admit that their point of view is not the be-all and end-all of life, while others go as far as to say that anyone who doesn't agree with them is probably not saved. They live in a black and white world, where right is right, and wrong is wrong, and there is no middle ground - no room for compromise, or for complexity.

I don't subscribe to this type of viewpoint.

Most people concede that in between the two viewpoints is a grey area: a part of life where the black and white don't fit quite so neatly, and begin to mix. They might tell you that the solution to a lot of these debates is to live in the grey area: to compromise. This sounds like a recipe for unity, right?

I don't subscribe to this point of view either. But it's certainly a better one.

Others may argue that life is very rarely as simple as an argument between black and white. Sometimes, there are more factors to consider. Little hints of colour that shape the debate. A little complexity. That will get us closer to the truth.

Closer, yes. But not all the way there.

The truth, as I see it (and I may be wrong), is that the answer to all these debates is not black or white, or grey, or even some pastel shade of red. The answer is God: the triune being responsible for this amazing world we live in. And he is radiant. He is wild and complex beyond all our imaginings. He is certainly not monochrome. He is so complex, he appears to be a contradiction of himself, as Red and Green oppose each other in the spectrum of white light.

We can't dream of understanding him, but we can experience him.

He is Love.

In this blog, I hope to challenge some of our assumptions about God. Cause us to think, and to wonder, and to question ourselves. To walk together in the assurance that we are a priestly royalty wherever we go, and that we carry the authority of that everywhere we are - from the highest mountain top to the foulest bog. And to help us all accept each other for what we are.

Most of what I write will be from the heart, rather than the head, and I don't claim that I'll be right all (or any) of the time. Mainly, I enjoy writing, and feel that God speaks to me through it, so I want to share that with you.

I hope you'll join me.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts